ANNIHILATOR guitarist/founder Jeff Waters has checked in with the following update:
"German guitar clinics coming for the mighty Epiphone on the beauty Gibson bus. So far, looks like only Germany but it should happen in mid-September, just before the even mightier Feast On Europe Tour! I also hear rumors of more touring in February - April 2014 and we are already confirming summer 2014 festivals. Promoters and venues should contact the ICS Touring Agency (Thomas Kreidner) ASAP to book Annihilator in 2014, it will be a very busy year."
"Although Annihilator have put out 14 CDs since 1989 and never stopped touring and rockin' Europe and Asia, etc., the press and early fan reviews have declared 'Annihilator is back!' We never left (well, technically North America was omitted, due to ZERO interest form labels there - yes, even my home country Canada!) but you know what I mean. I think the popularity just shot up 10X. Although we don't think we 'deserve' anything, I guess good things come to those who work hard, be honest and stay true to what you love to do and f**k the commercialism of it all! It's 90% about the love of music and metal and the fans. The other 10% is about financial survival, so we can keep the creative and metal machine alive, to keep making records and keep playing the music for the fans. LOVE TO ALL!"
Pro-shot footage of Annihilator's set at this year's Wacken Open Air festival in Germany, as well as interview footage, is available below:
BW&BK's Metal Tim Henderson was in attendance at the 24th edition of Germany's Wacken Open Air festival, which kicked off on Thursday, August 1st with Annihilator's first appearance in ten years. He checked in with the following report:
"The band led by the grinning master of the Flying V (he uses an Annihilation-V) Jeff Waters delivered the fest's first dose of thrashing madness. It's difficult to really pin-point what festival set-time is truly prime-time, but 5 PM in the blazing sun saw tens of thousands revel in the band's catalog including such tasty tidbits as the storming 'King Of The Kill', 'Set The World On Fire', 'Welcome To Your Death', 'The Fun Palace' and the obligatory finale 'Alison In Hell'.
Waters is not only a Canadian hero, but an overall gem in the metal scene, cursed maybe by one ailment; they rarely tour on our shores. This fall they have another healthy run of Europe in support of their new album, Feast, which their label UDR Records proudly showcased on the video screens before the band's set. And it was cool that organizers have a new way of introducing bands as a slot machine appeared on the giant screen rotating the possibilities like potential winning until we struck gold with Annihilator as the photo below showcases. The band aired one new track yesterday called 'No Way Out', the four-piece delivering the neck breaking goods once again. Of note, Annihilator's singer for the past ten years is the multi-talented Dave Padden, a giant on stage whose voice and abilities on the guitar is taking the band to the next level. And the vocal harmonies between Waters, Padden and bassist Al Campuzano collectively throw a curve ball in the thrash world, truly unique.
Annihilator will release their 14th studio album, Feast, on August 23rd in Europe, August 26th in the UK, and August 27th in North America, via the UDR label.
Germany's Wacken Open Air presents the premiere of the electronic press kit for Feast, which features some new material:
Feast contains nine songs:
'No Way Out'
'Perfect Angel Eyes'
'Fight The World'
'One Falls, Two Rise'
The deluxe Eco-book version will also feature a bonus CD containing a 15 song re-recorded Best Of Annihilator set... a grand total of 24 songs in one package... with a 3D cover!
Bonus CD - Re-Kill (2012):
'King Of The Kill'
'Set The World On Fire'
'Welcome To Your Death W.T.Y.D.'
'Refresh The Demon'
10 - Roermond ECI, Netherlands - Cultuurfabriek
11 - Enschede, Netherlands - Atak
12 - Vosselaar, Belgium - Biebob
13 - London, UK - 02 Academy Islington
14 - Manchester, UK - NQ Live
16 - Paris, France - La Machine
18 - Madrid, Spain - But
19 - Barcelona, Spain - Razzmatazz 2
20 - France - Lyon Ninkasi Kao
22 - Winterthur, Switzerland - Gaswerk
23 - Augsburg, Germany - Spectrum
24 - Wien, Austria - Szene
25 - Zlin, Czech Repibulic - Masters Of Rock Cafe
26 - Nürnberg, Germany - Rockfabrik
28 - Mannheim, Germany - Alte Seilerei
29 - Essen, Germany - Turock
30 - Osnabrück, Germany - Lagerhalle
31 - Hamburg, Germany - Knust
1 - Copenhagen, Denmark - Pumpehuset
2 - Oslo, Norway - John Dee
3 - Stockholm, Sweden - Klubben
5 - Tampere, Finland - Klubi
6 - Helsinki, Finland - Nosturi
8 - Sankt Petersburg, Russia - Zal Ozhidaniya
9 - Moscow, Russia - Volta