BravePicks 2022 - MISERY INDEX's Complete Control #19
December 13, 2022, 12 months ago
Where does the time go? 2022 can be called the comeback year of all time, with virtually every band on the planet getting back on track post-COVID. So it was one helluva year for heavy metal as the releases started to pour in and the bands started to hit your town after nearly three years of madness. It is time to unveil our annual BravePicks countdown, where the devout scribes at BraveWords cast their votes at the hits and misses of the year! So who will be our #1? You’ll find out as we count down the BravePick Of 2022 each day in December!
Everybody has an opinion and it’s time for ours! And stay tuned in January for the writers’ individual Top 20s (new studio albums ONLY), Top 5 Brave Embarrassments (a fan favorite!), What/Who Needs To Stop In 2022? and Metal Predictions For 2022. All will be showcased come the New Year!
First up, the best of the best for 2022 begins NOW! And we begin with the six releases bubbling under our top 30.
19) MISERY INDEX - Complete Control (Century Media)
In Complete Control indeed. Weaving their mix of hardcore, grindcore, and death metal, Baltimore’s Misery Index did not disappoint with their seventh studio effort. Complete Control keeps it sharp and to the point with nine tracks at 33 minutes with an assault of heavy riffs and as the press material stated for the album – Complete Control is indeed a “much-needed hammer to the face.”
Brutality defined – Complete Control grinds to #19 on our list.
Scribe Greg Pratt penned in his review:
“Administer The Dagger” completely rules as an opener, slow and sludgey with an extremely intense, ranting vocal delivery in the intro; it gives way to a climactic grinding blast, and it's on, everything's on, “The Eaters And The Eaten” grinding even faster, the title track's melodic hardcore attack like His Hero Is Gone all cleaned up and ready to fucking annihilate the bourgeoisie dinner party and laying down a glory-ride solo to die for along the way (seriously, what a song)... By the time the record's midpoint hits, and “Necessary Suffering” ends with a slam and “Rites Of Cruelty” blasts back in, man, this band is on fire this time around. Misery Index are always great, and they're even greater when they focus on their grind and hardcore sides, which is what they're doing here, the DM more of an Earache '91 grind/death sound than anything, which is perfect.
BravePicks 2022 Top 30
20) KRISIUN - Mortem Solis (Century Media)
21) RAZOR - Cycle Of Contempt (Relapse)
22) MEGADETH - The Sick, The Dying...And The Dead! (Universal Music Group)
23) TONY MARTIN - Thorns (Dark Star)
24) UGLY KID JOE - Rad Wings Of Destiny (Metalville / UKJ)
25) TRIAL (SWE) - Feed The Fire (Metal Blade)
26) SABATON - The War To End All Wars (Nuclear Blast)
27) SCORPIONS - Rock Believer (Vertigo)
28) CORPSEGRINDER - Corpsegrinder (Perseverance)
29) SLASH FEATURING MYLES KENNEDY & THE CONSPIRATORS - 4 (Gibson / BMG)
30) NORDJEVEL - Gnavhòl (Indie)
31) WITCHERY – Nightside (Century Media)
32) ABBATH - Dread Reaver (Season of Mist)
33) AMON AMARTH - The Great Heathen Army (Metal Blade)
34) RECKLESS LOVE – Turbo Rider (AFM)
35) GOATWHORE – Angels Hung From The Arches Of Heaven (Metal Blade)
36) CAVE IN – Heavy Pendulum (Relapse)