BravePicks 2015 - The Scribes Speak: Kim Baarda
January 4, 2016, 5 years ago
Now that we have completed the BravePicks Of 2015 countdown - which Slayer ruled supreme (see the entire list here) - it is time now to shine the spotlight on the people that actually built our mountain of metal! It is a massive task, as BraveWords gets flooded with hundreds and hundreds of releases, showcasing the fact that the scene is as vibrant as ever! Each day, the BraveWords scribes will chat about the good, bad and ugly for 2015 and thoughts on this year! So check out our individual Top 20s (new studio albums ONLY), Top 5 Brave Embarrassments, Top 3 Concerts, What/Who Needs To Stop In 2016? and Metal Predictions For 2016.
Top 20 Of 2015
1) NILE - What Should Not Be Unearthed (Nuclear Blast)
2) CRYPTOPSY - The Book Of Suffering: Tome 1 (Independent)
3) ENSLAVED - In Times (Nuclear Blast)
4) CATTLE DECAPITATION - The Anthropocene Extinction (Metal Blade)
5) ABIGAIL WILLIAMS - The Accuser (Candlelight)
6) MARDUK - Frontschwein (Century Media)
7) AKHLYS - The Dreaming I (Debemur-Morti)
8) AUTOPSY - Skull Grinder (Peaceville)
9) FIRESPAWN - Shadow Realms (Century Media)
10) GRAVE - Out of Respect for The Dead (Century Media)
11) SLAYER - Repentless (Nuclear Blast)
12) FUNESTE - Le Triomphe du Charnier (Black Element)
13) FEAR FACTORY - Genexus (Nuclear Blast)
14) PARADISE LOST - The Plague Within (Century Media)
15) HATE - Crusade Zero (Napalm Records)
16) NUCLEAR ASSAULT - Pounder (Sidipus Records)
17) IRON MAIDEN - The Book Of Souls (Sanctuary/BMG)
18) MALEVOLENT CREATION - DEAD MAND PATH
19) KATAKLYSM - Of Ghosts And Gods (Nuclear Blast)
20) INAEONA - Force Rise The Sun (Prosthetic Records)
Top 5 Brave Embarrassments
1. BUTCHER BABIES - Take it Like a Man (Century Media)
Ironic album title considering the vocals sound like a 17 year old boy's metalcore project. This band makes me feel embarrassed for metal and women all at once.
2. DEAFHEAVEN - New Bermuda (ANTI-)
Pop rock wants their album back. Let them have it.
3. CRADLE OF FILTH - Hammer Of The Witches (Nuclear Blast Records)
More of a disappointment, than an embarrassment. I'm sure I wasn't the only one who anticipated this release to be more of a return to their roots. Regardless, Cradle will always have my respect at least.
4. BARONESS - Purple (Abraxan Hymns)
'One of these things just doesn't belong.’
5. TRIVIUM – Silence in the Snow (Roadrunner Records)
An attempt to incorporate Notoriety has failed to make this release anything more than the filler that lies in between the gems.
Top 3 Concerts
BEHEMOTH, CANNIBAL CORPSE - Montreal, Canada - Le Metropolis
INCANTATION, FUNERUS - London, Canada - The APK
Heavy Mtl - Montreal, Canada - Parc Jean-Drapeau
Thoughts On 2015
What has been called the 'no solution' industry has actually proven to be just the opposite of that. With innovative and risk-taking bands, such as Montreal's Cryptopsy, the business of extreme metal has found a new home, back in the comforting, welcoming arms of its creators - the bands themselves. The time has come for bands to take back control of their art, at the hands (and expense) of rabid, die-hard, ever-supportive fans. As a result, bands are experiencing a renewed confidence in their art and place in this world. What happens with a higher sense of self worth? Well, we are graced with venomous intros to soon-to-be-classic albums, such as this one: "The hearing from the sounds of hell is very real... and I warn you what you are about to hear is very disturbing indeed." The revolution has begun, and it's very disturbing indeed!
What/Who Needs To Stop In 2015?
Remember when the term ‘crossover' meant you were going to be pummeled by some sorta blend of thrash and hardcore by heavyweights such as D.R.I., Biohazard, Nuclear Assault, or Suicidal Tendencies? Yeah, well, those days are long gone. Today's crossover consists of pretty pop-stars cavorting with the legends of Norwegian black metal. Or how 'bout the pretentious, overly trendy metal effete, who adorn Michael Jackson-like gloves whilst singing blackened dirges to the sun? Let's hope this trend stops at the two aforementioned, unnamed offenders.
Metal Predictions For 2016
Florida launches an annual Metalfest (its about time) that will prove old-school death metal is still going strong for the years to come! MORBID ANGEL, ANTHRAX, ABBATH, FLESHGOD APOCALYPSE, and 'maybe' DIMMU BORGIR? Lastly, DYING FETUS...please this time?